Since ancient times, the Citrine has been associated with the sun, the gods and abundance. Because of its energetic properties, its qualities and its warm colour, it has been employed in various ways throughout history, and is one of Ikcha's favorite stones.
It is November's birthstone and is known as the Stone of Abundance. It relates to the solar plexus chakra, which is linked to economic success and personal self-realization. It is also known as the Merchant's Stone, and many people in commerce store Citrines in their cash registers to attract wealth. In addition, it is thought that it is able to not only attract, but keep and promote generocity.
¿What is the Citrine?
- Citrine belongs to the family of quartzes. As such, it has a hardness of 7 on the Mohs scale, which measures its hardness.
- Its name comes from the French citron "lemon".
- Natual Citrines are relatively rare. Although it is also often obtained artificially by exposing low quality amethysts to heat in orther to obtain the yellow/orange color.
- In the Celtic culture, the citrine is related to the goddess Dana, the goddess of the sun. It was the universal mother, symbolized by the rivers, water, wells, wind, and prosperity; the citrine is used to represent and honor her.
- During the SEVENTEENTH century in Scotland, citrine was used to make beautiful dagger handles, which are exhibited in major museums today.
R H B Kirkwood - Dagger type sgian dubh with grip silver and citrine quartz - Length: 19'8cm - Edinburgh (Scotland)
- In times of war between England and Scotland, the scots held their plaid, a kind of cape made of wool, with a brooch made of silver and citrine extracted from the granite mountains of Cairngorm, on the east of Scotland. If the warrior died in battle, whomever found his body was supposed to give it a proper burial, paid for with the brooch.
Benefits and Properties:
- It is a powerful cleanser and revitalizing. It is one of the gems that never needs to be cleaned for it absorbs, transmutes and dissipates negative energy.
- On an Emotional Level: It revitalizes the mind and is excellent for fighting depression, fears and phobias.
- At a Physical Level: This stone is energizing. It helps people sensitive to the environment and helps to stimulate the digestive system. The Citrine's energy is also recommended for people suffering from degenerative diseases, urinary infections, thyroid problems, and circulation. This stone is an elixir for women, as it helps them control the uncomfortable symptoms of menopausia.
- Psychologically: Increases trust and removes self-destructive behaviour. Makes you less sensitive to criticism and encourages the exploration of new possibilities.
How to take advantage of the properties of the Citrine
Nymph Pendant with Rodonita, Smoky Quartz and Citrine
- There is the belief that those who bear the citrine in a ring or necklace (in contact with the skin) is released from resentments and emotional crutches.
- Acording to Feng Shui, this rock represents the joy of living, optimism, and clarity in actions.
- Citrine jewelry help verbalize thoughts and emotions; they are ideal for people who are engaged in commerce, public speakers and teachers.
If you want to know more about Birthstones, visit our Blog entry: Birthstones